I Do! Take Two Forum: Inviting guests to church vow reaffirmation - Invitation Etiquette for Second Weddings and Vow Renewals - I Do! Take Two Forum

Inviting guests to church vow reaffirmation How to word ivitations to people who are not church members

Array

#1 User is offline   MikeandTara322

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 2
Our ten year anniversary is coming up. We have decided to reaffirm our vows during a regular Sunday service at our church because I don't want it to be a second wedding type ceremony. I think the church is also going to have a potluck lunch afterward.

Should I send out invitations to our friends and family who either attend different churches or do not attend a Sunday morning service? If so, how should I word them to say that the ceremony will be simple and part of the church service? Will people who don't attend church feel as if this is going to force them to attend a church service? Do I need to mention the potluck on the invitation? Since we, as a church, are having the potluck I would not expect outside guests to bring a dish, but would also like them to know they are more than welcome to stay for lunch.

Tara

#2 User is offline   Etiquette Now

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 552
Dear Tara,

Please be careful about "inviting" guests to a pot luck. If you invite guests, you are expected to entertain them. They shouldn't be expected to bring the party, which it appears you know already. So, what to do? Since your church is organizing the pot luck and you want to invite outside guests, it might be best to verbally inform them of the informality of the event. This way you can fill them in on all the particulars, like the fact that the vow renewal is part of the church service.

Your focus is very good. Bravo!

All the best,
Rebecca Black, Etiquette Consultant, Etiquette Now

#3 User is offline   MikeandTara322

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 2
Thank you for the advice. I am so glad I found this forum.

Share this topic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users