I Do! Take Two Forum: Planning a Vow Renewal for parent's 40th anniversary - Wedding Vow Renewal Advice - I Do! Take Two Forum

Planning a Vow Renewal for parent's 40th anniversary

Array

#1 User is offline   shendren05

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 2
My parents are about to celebrate their 40th anniversary in January. They were married at a very young age (15/17) and were married in the preacher's kitchen. My dad has mentioned "getting married again" and I would love to help make that happen. I am also an only child but have been offered help by my aunt. I am just wondering how to go about handling the whole thing. Should it be a simple vow renewal or since they never actually got to have a wedding, plan it as such? I'm also on a budget as well but 40 years is a long time and I think they deserve something grand!

Help!! Please :)

#2 User is offline   the_admin

• Remarriage Forum Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 1,034
How sweet!
First know that your parents can't really have a wedding or be married again. That's a once in a lifetime event no matter where it takes place or how. But, as we've mentioned many times on the website and in the pages of this forum, they can recommit to one another and renew the vows they took 40 years ago. Just be sure that you speak to your parents about the ceremony, allowing them to plan and perhaps write their own vows. This is a highly personal ceremony so, please, no surprises.
You can plan a wonderful celebration to follow the vows. Plan a party that mimics an anniversary party, matching the formality with the service, venue and time of day. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money to be a wonderful celebration. As long as those they hold dear are present, offering their well wishes and love, they'll be well honored.
God bless you for being such a caring and supportive daughter. Your parents are lucky to have you and to celebrate 40 years together.
Remarriage Expert

#3 User is offline   Etiquette Now

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 552
I agree. The anniversary party can be everything they wish. And, since there are few rules for these parties, you can create activities and special elements.
Rebecca Black, Etiquette Consultant, Etiquette Now

#4 User is offline   shendren05

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 2
Thank you for your advice and kind words. I'm sure I can come up with a anniversary party that they will remember! Thanks again!

Share this topic:

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users