I Do! Take Two Forum: Want a convalidation ceremony in the Catholic Church. Do we need annulment for previous marriage in non-denominational church? - Religious Issues Related To Remarriage - I Do! Take Two Forum

Jump to content

Want a convalidation ceremony in the Catholic Church. Do we need annulment for previous marriage in non-denominational church?


#1 User is offline   2xaround

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
I have searched through the posts and cannot find the question that I am searching for. Some are similar but I'm not sure if the same rules apply. My current husband was married twice before, once in a Catholic church and once in non-denominational church. He has not had an annulment for either marriage. I was married my first time in a Catholic church. I understand that I need to get an annulment for my marriage and he needs to get one for his first marriage. What do we do about his second marriage? We are both Catholic and would like to have our marriage blessed in the Catholic church. It is a process that we need to save money for and may take some time.

#2 User is offline   startingover

  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 134
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ohio
  • Interests:Sacramental Marriage, Starting Over and Leaving the Baggage Behind, Annulment Healing, Anger and Forgiveness, The Healing Power of Faith
Thank you for searching through the archives first for an answer to your question. That can save everyone a lot of time!

You are correct that you will both need annulments from your former marriages. For the Catholic marriages, you will need to fill out the long version of the annulment, with many thought-provoking and soul-searching essay questions. Please do your best to answer the questions thoroughly and honestly because they can open your eyes to the problems in your previous marriages and help you avoid making the same mistakes in your present marriage.

As for his being married in a non-Catholic church, if he was Catholic at the time, then he will only need to fill out a shortened version of annulment called a "defect of form" because he married outside the Catholic Church.

You are both to be commended for wanting your present marriage blessed by the Church of your faith. This shows that you are taking your faith seriously and we encourage you to work with a priest who can guide you through the annulment process with skill and compassion.

God bless you as you seek His grace and peace.
Kay and Dennis Flowers
Authors of Catholic Annulment, Spiritual Healing

Share this topic:

  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users