I Do! Take Two Forum: Vow Renewal for 25th Anniversary - Wedding Vow Renewal Advice - I Do! Take Two Forum

Vow Renewal for 25th Anniversary

Array

#1 User is offline   sahbarr

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 4
My husband and I are celebrating our 25th next year. We were married with a JP as my hubby's father was critically ill with cancer and was not expected to live until our wedding date. My hubby is an only child! We are having a vow renewal ceremony in our church chapel with our Sr. Minister and a dear friend who is a Minister as well. I have a long dress, looks nothing like a bridal gown. The boys and my hubby will be in black pants, vests and ties tomatch my plum dress. My nieces will wear white dresses with bows to match mine and place petals on the floor just before my hubby and I come in. We will have music and reaffirm our vows exchange red rose and light a family unity candle with our 3 sons. Now is this appropriate since it is a milestone anniversary and then have a reception with finger foods and cake and punch! Please advise as I want to be correct and not ashamed later on!

#2 User is offline   the_admin

• Remarriage Forum Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 1,034
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary.

Everything sounds wonderful, except the flower girl look-alikes. To me, that seems more like a wedding than a vow renewal. Typically we include our own children in the ceremony, but don't actually have a procession.

The reception/party following should be fine depending on the time of day. Serve foods that would be expected for that time of day.

I don't see anything that could really shame you. Celebrate!
Remarriage Expert

#3 User is offline   sahbarr

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 4
What else can the nieces do? We already purchased their dresses and sashes!

The food will be fruit trays, cheese and cracker trays, finger sandwiches, veggie trays. The Ceremony will be at 6pm. Please advise.

#4 User is offline   the_admin

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 1,034
The nieces could participate in the candle lighting ceremony and be involved in the picture taking. Depending on their ages, sometimes it's nice for the kids to read something they wrote as part of the family to honor the couple.

At this time of day I think your guests might be looking for a bit more of a substantial menu.
Remarriage Expert

#5 User is offline   sahbarr

• Pip
  • Send message
  • posts 4
what do you suggest we serve? I have never done this before! And We have been to many evening Wedding ceremonies and they have the same foods we were thinking of serving! I sincerely appreciate your help!

#6 User is offline   the_admin

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 1,034
If I were hosting a party at this time of day I would serve a few hot menu items, more like dinner fare. For example, maybe a carving station with turkey breast and roast beef, a tray of pasta and some salads.
Remarriage Expert

#7 User is offline   the_admin

• PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • posts 1,034
Please post any new questions as new and don't forget to spell check, proper grammar, so we can read and reply easily.

Thanks!
Remarriage Expert

#8 User is offline   Etiquette Now

• WEDDING ETIQUETTE EXPERT
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 552
Great advice! I couldn't have said it better myself.

The little ladies could also act as official greeters who seat guests, much like ushers do. This is a bit similar to a wedding, but different enough to not appear to be "wedding-like".
Rebecca Black, Etiquette Consultant, Etiquette Now

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users