I Do! Take Two Forum: Telling your ex you're getting remarried - Second Wedding Etiquette Advice - I Do! Take Two Forum

Telling your ex you're getting remarried

Array

#1 User is offline   lojay85

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 2
My ex-husband and I have been divorced for 2 years. We have three daughters ages 15, 14, and 11. We have a shared parenting arrangement. The girls spend a week with me and then a week with him.

My ex finally has a new girlfriend and they seem very into each other. I have been dating my boyfriend for about a year and a half. My boyfriend has two boys ages 7 and 9. The mostly live with their mom and her girlfriend.

Do we have to tell our ex 's that we are planning on getting married? If so how do we do that?

It was my decision to divorce my ex and a mutual decision on my boyfriend and his ex's part.

Thank you for your help.

#2 User is offline   Alyssa Johnson

• Stepfamily & Remarriage Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Moderators of any forum
  • posts 56
  • Interests:Remarriage, Step Families
Hi,

There's no rule that says you "have" to tell your ex's. I would recommend it though. It's not that you want their permission or blessing or anything like that.

Instead, it's more a co-parenting aspect and out of respect for their parent role. The kids will tell your ex's. That is adult information and should be shared via the adults.

I would encourage you to let the spouse's know in the following way: "I just want to let you know because I'm sure the kids will say something about it. ____ and I are planning to get married."

You don't have to give a lot of details. It's more just preparing them for any questions or comments the kids may make to your ex.

I always encourage divorced parents to think "If you were in the other position, how would you like it handled?" It's a good rule to go by as things progress and you question how to handle it.

Best wishes!

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users