I Do! Take Two Forum: can I marry my ex in-law? - Legal Issues Associated With Remarriage - I Do! Take Two Forum

can I marry my ex in-law?

Array

#1 User is offline   pugpugs

• Pip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1
hi, ok heres my question. My husband and I divorced. His sister and her husband also divorced-their family had some issues!

A year later i ran into my ex brother in law(my ex husband's sister's ex husband) and We both had children when married so we started taking the kids places so they could spend time together. Long story short we fell in love and want to get married. This would make our children who are cousins- step brothers/sisters. my fiance and i are concerned about the legality of this situation. We both came from different familys and just happened to marry and divorce a brother and sister. Is there anything legally wrong with this? We live in Oregon. We both know how crazy this sounds but life just happens sometimes. Also would the kids remain cousins, or would the marriage make them step brothers/sisters?

Any help would be great.

#2 User is offline   the_admin

• Remarriage Forum Expert
  • PipPipPip
  • Send message
  • Group: Registered users
  • posts 1,034
Although a sticky situation, it is certainly not illegal for the two of you to be married since you are not blood relations.

I am not completely sure what the title of the relationship would be for your children but, if you are all to be a family I think you have some more important questions to consider suchs as:

How will we all get along as a family, seeing the ex-spouse when weekend visitations and holidays roll around?

How do the rest of the family members on both sides feel about all of this?

How comfortable/uncomfortable will children's birthday parties, holidays, etc. be?

I don't think these are road blocks but just questions to ponder before getting remarried. You should probably seek professional couples counseling (and if the kids are old enough, family sessions) before you make any decisions. You certianly don't want to put those kids through a second break up. Go slowly...if your love is true, it will last and wait until you have all of the issues worked out.

Good luck. This is complicated!
Remarriage Expert

Share this topic:

• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked

0 user(s) are reading this topic
members, guests, anonymous users